Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Something you don't see in games designed for a Western audience...

I'm playing through Spectral Force 3 right now. It's one of those tactics games where everyone stands around on an isometric map and takes turns moving and attacking. It's a niche genre to be sure, but one I enjoy.

Anyway, it's been mostly standard stuff thus far, battling the usual assortment of soldiers, monsters, and the like. And then last night this...thing showed up as an enemy. I asked Rachel to take a couple pictures, because I don't know if people would believe my explanation:















Rachel's quote: "Are you fighting...Jesus?"

Uh, no. It's not Jesus. But it does seem to be an angel chained to a cross, being held up like some kind to totem by a goblin-thing. Here's the data screen for this enemy:















I find myself at a loss for words here. Being a person without a strong religious affiliation, I guess I'm not "offended"...more like baffled. If you're thinking it probably made sense within the context of the game's story, I can assure you that isn't the case.

In any case, Spectral Force 3 was originally released in Japan only, but was eventually translated into English and released here. I'm thinking that if they had it to do over again, the designers might have rethought this model a bit...

No comments:

Post a Comment